The goal of this enjoyable class is to help the older beginning students quickly reach mastery of simple pieces for their enjoyment and for building their confidence to take on bigger musical challenges. Class curriculum includes traditional, classical and contemporary pieces, written and aural theory and improvisation. Dedicated students will make quick progress in this 55 minute class which moves at an accelerated pace with at-home practicing. Regular class & formal recital experiences help with goal setting and developing confidence. This is a highly successful program!
Most musicians agree that piano is the best FIRST instrument! This enjoyable keyboard class introduces children to the musical concepts of singing, ear training, note reading and rhythm while learning to play the piano, all in a positive, encouraging learning environment.
*Parent attendance required/requested.
*Makeup classes available
*Highly structured, balanced curriculum
*Online home assignments
*Exceptionally skilled, experienced classroom teachers
*Regular classroom performances *Formal recitals 3x per year
Tips for Success During the Class:
*Attend every week, even if your child didn't do their home assignment!
*Be on time and remind your child to quickly get their class materials ready.
*Pay attention during the lesson. Please turn your cell phones off during class.
*Take notes! Even if you have a strong musical background (which isn't necessary to be a helpful parent), you may learn some new ways of approaching concepts and it will be helpful to review these at home.
*Your teacher may ask you to participate during the class in various activities.
How to Support Your Child Between Classes:
* Reinforce class activities at home with regular practicing. Try for 5-6 days per week.
*Attend a makeup class if you missed your regular class. New concepts are introduced weekly. You are also welcome to attend makeup classes if you and your teacher feel the extra class time would be beneficial.
*Check the online home assignment to make sure don't miss reviewing any class concepts.
*Schedule 20-30 min regular practice times that match your family's routine: before/after school, before/after dinner, etc. Short, daily practice sessions are more productive than hour-long sessions on the weekend.
*Check the school calendar for vacation, recital, special event dates.
*Communicate with your teacher via school email: Teacher@pacificconservatory.com. They (or the office staff) will respond to all questions and comments.
*Email or call the office if you will be absent.
* Keep track of the number of practice sessions so you can report to their teacher.
*Attend musical events in the community. Live music of any genre is motivating and stimulating.
*Never use practice time as punishment for other misdeeds.
*Brings all your materials. Keep books and binders in your Pacific Conservatory briefcase so it will be easy to find when it's time to leave for your lesson.
Overview of Curriculum:
*Piano for the Older Beginner is a multi-year program. Our curriculum uses Books 1A, 1B, Level 2-6, each book taking about 1 year. Starting material packets include 3 textbooks, briefcase, binder and pencil.
* Students begin with pre-reading activities and will be reading traditional staff line notation within 1-2 months.
* Students will use Letter Names (A,B,Cs) for note reading.
* Beginning performances will feature students performing solos. If a student is not ready to perform at one of our biannual recitals, please attend the recital with them in the audience so they can watch and be more comfortable for the next performing opportunity.
* When students reach Level 2, they will be encouraged to add a private lesson to their group class. This program is called Comprehensive Musicianship (for more details, click here: Comprehensive Musicianship). Students who are invited to join our Fast Track Curriculum will be ready to add a private lesson at an earlier time.
* We recommend 6 mos to 2 yrs of class piano lessons before adding the private lesson to the student's schedule, depending on the student's beginning age, maturity and interest level. Highly motivated students will be invited to join accelerated classes to invigorate their musical progress